Monday, February 27, 2012

My Novel Experience with Authoring


You must have all read the story of how, at the tender age of five, having been egged on by a particularly vicious dog, I was forced to take up the pen, the mightiest weapon known to man, in an endeavor to quell the uprising of hoards of marauding canines. (Take that, and that, and that, and... ) I believe I was reasonably successful in thwarting their dark and evil design, since all heads of states of all countries still remain essentially human.

Having thus achieved my end, I laid the pen to rest for a fairly longish period, except for occasional tests and exams, when one had to revert to using it to scrawl out trigonometry, Archimedes principle, structure of atom and other such completely useless bits of knowledge in a really abysmal handwriting. But deep inside me, an author lay trapped within layers of competitive exams, corporate bullshit and such other forms of rat-race.

It was not until very recently that I decided to take up writing again. This time aided by QWERTY boards, mightier than the pen. So in between mails on explaining cash flows, setting targets, poking a friend on face book, churning out idiotic presentations, playing scrabble and making elaborate XL sheets, I started finding time to blog.

At first, the occasional slips into this aberration were minimal and controllable– approximately 2.3 times each year, much like how Dr.Jekyll could control the use of the stuff that could turn him into Mr. Hyde. But this happy state of affairs was not to last. I left active corporate life because of an autoimmune disorder.  And like a vicious beast, long shackled within the confines of a polished exterior, the aspiring author in me was unleashed. My declaration, stating my intent of spewing the stuff out once a week was received by all my hapless classmates and FB friends with quaking hearts. The fact that every time I pinged someone or chatted with someone, I would end the conversation asking them whether they have read my blog was more than some of them could handle (I believe some of them opted out of FB) . Even my unknown scrabble opponents would be surprised witless in the middle of their bingos by me pasting  my latest post on the chat box, making them completely miss their seven letter words with the letters Q,U,A,K, I,N and G.  When I started ending every phone call with the question “have you read my blog?” my wife finally kicked my posterior viciously and told me enough was enough.

But unknown to them, I was brewing up a far more sinister and darker plan, that of writing a whole blooming book.

This happened when Jayu and I went for 3 months to Chicago. The main purpose was for me to undergo a stem cell transplant. (The secondary purpose was for me to see the Playboy building and the tertiary purpose was to eat the original deep pan pizza.) So what does one do in between blood tests, being poked by electrodes and bone marrow biopsies?  Writing, of course. So I started off on my first novel.  I was quite focused on this task and managed to churn out 2-3 pages a day. I was duly encouraged by dear friends Sridhar, Vasudha, Manish and Radhika, poor unsuspecting souls who had no idea just how close they were to becoming branded Frankenstein.  I completed fifty pages, but was personally, not happy with the way the plot was developing. It was altogether too serious. There was no pep in it.

And then I went in for the actual treatment (17 days). My body revolted at the chemo and refused any input outside of dry toast. But my brain, pickled in the purest Old Monk rum and Bullet beer from the age of 16, must have found some kinship with the aforementioned chemo. It must have been also quite impressed with the mix of rabbit juices and rat juices the hospital was kind enough to provide intravenously. The fact that the hospital was miles above any I have ever seen and the Doctor was incredibly good added to the feeling of well being. And of course, it helped that the nurses, handpicked to be the best of the best, also looked like angels. Buoyed by the abovementioned happy circumstances, my brain finally came up with the sweet-spot. It was ‘out with the serious’ and in with the ‘mad and whacky’. The idea for ‘Oops!’ was born.

Over the next 3 months, aided by the excellent dragon software, I completed my first novel. Then started the difficult part of the whole journey. That of getting an unsuspecting soul to read it. Three months down the line, it remained a fruitless endeavor. Even my kids, even on the pain of cancellation of all pizza rights, dug in their heels and resisted. Till finally I found 3 persons (one cousin, one friend and one friend’s son) to actually read the whole stuff.

But getting a publisher gullible enough to bite on the hook was a whole different story and shall be recounted in a different blog. (How else can I stick to my promise of once a week excitement?)

But in case you are sighing with relief, let me warn you. I am no quitter. You, my poor fish, are going to be hit with the final product come May. With your best interests at heart, let me give you some friendly advice. Buy the damn thing and read it. Otherwise, the vicious Mr. Hyde in me will find expression and I shall track you down to the ends of the earth and make sure I pain you with a deluge of blogs.  

16 comments:

Rajesh said...

Congrats Ram.. Eagerly awaiting Oops..
Rajesh

rg said...

Look forward to reading your book. Hope you ate keeping well. All the best and congratulations!

rg said...

Look forward to reading it. Hope you are keeping well. All thr best and congratulations.

Anonymous said...

:) As the above mentioned friend will await my free signed copy. Ayaan can encash it when he is 50 to become a millionaire
Awaiting the next blog. Curious to know how the publisher recognized the potential so soon. And while I admire what the chemo and Pickled old monk can do, no more encores on that front. Sequels to be churned out from the remaining parts of the well lit brain

SBK Menon said...

Buying the book has several advantages.
You can avoid RamG's efforts of pursuing and persuading.
You can pretend that you have read the book.
What is more- you need not read at all.
Yet I am also eager to buy one and pretend that I have not read it.
All the best RamG. Nurture the writer in you.
sbkm

Ravanan said...

Looking forward to the book ramg! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats RG on your venture towards the 1st publication.Your long desired wish to be a writer is finally seeing some horizon and we anxiously await your publication. Meanwhile, we keep ticking on with your blog updates until May (Oops!) long wait eh? We know that your talent of writing the book will fetch you much deserved name and fame. God Bless!!!

The story in the book is well trodden and you are at your usual best in narration. I wish that book breaks all records of sales. But in this moment of celebration I will like to caution you to take each step with care. Be careful in publicity of the book so that it gets the necessary and right kind of attention.

Anonymous said...

Hey RG...I like the way you mix the fact with the fiction and your narration is delightful. It has been your long wish to be a writer we are glad you are finally seeing the horizon towards publication. Indeed a great achievement and I am sure your talent of writing the book will fetch you much deserved name and fame in a very short span of time.

I wish that the book breaks all records of sales. But in this moment of celebration I will like to caution you to take each step with care. Be careful in publicity of the book so that it gets the necessary and right kind of attention.

Meanwhile we tick along with reading your blogs weekly...(Ooops)! Sometime in May ya?
All the best and God Bless!! Cant wait to lay my hands on your maiden publication! You have a fan in me...

Anonymous said...

Hey RG...I like the way you mix the fact with the fiction and your narration is delightful. It has been your long wish to be a writer we are glad you are finally seeing the horizon towards publication. Indeed a great achievement and I am sure your talent of writing the book will fetch you much deserved name and fame in a very short span of time.

I wish that the book breaks all records of sales. But in this moment of celebration I will like to caution you to take each step with care. Be careful in publicity of the book so that it gets the necessary and right kind of attention.

Meanwhile we tick along with reading your blogs weekly...(Ooops)! Sometime in May ya?
All the best and God Bless!! Cant wait to lay my hands on your maiden publication! You have a fan in me...

Ramgopal Vallath said...

Thanks Rajesh, RG, Achan, Ravanan and Anonymous (wish i knew who rg and anonymous were) thanks a lot for your wishes.

Ramgopal Vallath said...

Anjali, you are the only person who will get a signed copy of the book. After all, you are my editor!!

kandath said...

RamG,
We too are looking forward to your first book. You are a fantastic writer.
Wishing you the very best,
Kojnani and Girijammai

Roon said...

Hi RamG - looking forward to Oops... great choice of name for the book - lends itself easily to a sequel too :-)!

Arun

Vinay Jaswal said...

Hey RamG, if your book is as whacky and engaging as your blogs , am sure its going to be a roaring success. You surely know how to seduce the reader's mind and leave at a stage when its asking for more ;-)
Am looking fwd for sure.
Cheers..

Anonymous said...

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

Anonymous said...

Good blog post, nice efforts. It couldn't appear to have been penned any better. Reading this article piece of writing reminds me about my old boss! He usually kept babbling about this. I will email this post to him. Pretty confident he will probably have a high-quality read. Appreciate your posting!